• You MUST read the Babiato Rules before making your first post otherwise you may get permanent warning points or a permanent Ban.

Our resources on Babiato Forum are CLEAN and SAFE. So you can use them for development and testing purposes. If your are on Windows and have an antivirus that alerts you about a possible infection: Know it's a false positive because all scripts are double checked by our experts. We advise you to add Babiato to trusted sites/sources or disable your antivirus momentarily while downloading a resource. "Enjoy your presence on Babiato"

I received an alert from MoTyFo for a type of source

Just google Fonts similar to Filson soft and use a free one that doesn't need licensing.

Reactions: kalee
Hi @Vmaxx I followed your advice and changed the font type to ARIAL, but now they keep telling me that I have to buy a license because sometime in the past I used their font and they send me this email with a URL to a CACHE version of my old site.

Do some research MoTyFo is in France. https://www.motyfo.com/legal/
My website has no relation to the country France

Attachments

• cache.jpg
    cache.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 20
Hi @Vmaxx I followed your advice and changed the font type to ARIAL, but now they keep telling me that I have to buy a license because sometime in the past I used their font and they send me this email with a URL to a CACHE version of my old site.

are you from the EU?

A friend of mine was with in a similar Situation with a picture he used from let's just say a game from Epic Games. Got a letter by post home but he was from the UK. Where are you from?

Un amigo mío estaba en una situación similar con una imagen que usó de, digamos, un juego de Epic Games. Recibí una carta por correo a casa, pero era del Reino Unido. ¿De dónde eres?
Argentina

And what did that letter contain for your friend?
where did it all end?
The letter was for: Warning notice law (known as a § 97a UrhG)
In ended with him having to pay 1000€ but after getting a lawyer €600

But honestly I dont think they can do that to you cause you are not in the EU

Reactions: Nury

I doubt they can do anything about that. They sent you a notice, and you complied.

From my limited understanding of copyright law, the fact that you used the font in the past without authorization does not automatically create an obligation to purchase a license now. The link submitted (archive.org) has nothing to do with you and your website in its current state. However, if you wish to use the font again, only you will be required to purchase a license. Likewise, if you do not intend to use the font again, you do not need to purchase a license.

It would be wise for you to retain documentation of compliance with the C&D letter in case of future disputes.

Lastly, Argentina & France are two different legal jurisdictions. Highly doubt they are going to invest $1000's to shake you down for $25. There are so many technicalities at play that it doesn't make sense to exhaust so much of legal resources for $25.

If you replied to them in the past, then maybe just mention that you have complied with their C&D and discarded the use of their font. Also, mention that you have no affiliation with archive.org and therefore have no control over the information their website displays. If they want, they should submit a complaint to archive.org. Additionally, using a cached copy as evidence seems sketchy. I personally think it won't even be proper evidence because how do you verify and authenticate it to prove it really was your site at the time. 🤔

Anyways, I think it is a scare tactic to shake you for $25.

Thank you very much for your answers and advice, you have calmed me down @the_jester I also find it disproportionate to use a cache version to try to collect $25, I'm not going to pay anything anyway.

Today I started to investigate how to delete the cache version of my Archive.org site
Guide on how to clear my Archive.org site cache
It doesn't even matter. You have no affiliation with archive.org and can't change the information they display. Just ignore this guy and move on. Don't reply too much. The more you reply, the more info you provide. If he wants, he can spend the $1000+ to get you to France and sue you for damages caused due to your use of his $25 font. It is not worth his time to do all this as these cases aren't simple slamdunks in courts. They're messy, and there are too many technicalities to account for. Logically, it makes no sense. Even if you were the copyright holder, you would have to take the L and move on. You will not spend thousands to sue someone in another country without even a guarantee that they can afford to pay you the money, should you win. It's the same reason the bank doesn't appoint an entire fraud division to catch the guy that stole your credit card and made an online purchase with it for $10.

knsERHE.png

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

However in order to keep our huge array of resources free of charge we need to generate income from ads so to use the site you will need to turn off your adblocker.

If you'd like to have an ad free experience you can become a Babiato Lover by donating as little as $5 per month. Click on the Donate menu tab for more info.

I've Disabled AdBlock